Wednesday 13 November 2013

Voila: A Toddler Sunhat


Yay, I made a hat for my little itty bitty toddler.

When I was back in Gippsland recently (my folks live there!) I hunted through some of mum's fabric... and had sudden pangs to make something very quick. When there are more people around to care for BD, it's GREAT! Mum or Dad show him the garden, go on walks and play with him and I've crept away to Mum's little Husqvarna sewing machine!

After a lot of googling, the Reversible Bucket Hat by Oliver + S looked the quickest, the easiest... plus reversible? YES!




I used some straightforward cotton (with a lovely repeated pattern, see below) from Mum's stash for the under-fabric and visited Spotlight for this gorgeous vintage inspired cotton. I knew Husbie would love seeing BD with little space boys and girls (um, the little girl is shooting stars from her raygun - cute) so spent a bit extra on the fabric (and hardly used a foot of it)... as this was in the quilting section.

Guys, did you know that the quilting section fabric can be used for things OTHER than quilts? I had an inkling after visiting fabric shops with my unreal Aunty a few months back... but I decided I'd test it out! YES, I made a hat, and not a quilt!




The pdf of the Oliver + S fabric is FREE and such a great pattern to follow, cut and sew! I made two hats in about the length of a naptime. For BD's version I wanted to include the "under the chin" strap (which I quickly try to tie in a bow when I stick the hat on him), and it wasn't too tricky to do a spaghetti strap and add that in when I was sewing it all together.

Have you made any more Oliver + S patterns? I'm quite keen on them now! It's hard sometimes, because kids clothes can be so fiddly, and wovens aren't really the best for little bodies (or my babe doesn't really fit into them, just shorts!)... but I find it hard to find interesting knit fabrics to whizz up leggings or tshirts/singlets... hence my red leopard pair for my darling friend.

BD is a little bruiser sometimes, he's into everything, loves playing in our backyard and is just a delightful friend to hang with. These photos were taken when we had a week of just gorgeous weather, but this week in Melbourne has been just yukky... poor little toddling BD, so wet everywhere. We're hopefully seeing the sunshine again on Friday... when I'm at work! DRATS!

xoxox to you guys!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for being awesome and a total darling, leave a message!

Dongmen Lu Fabric Market

Happy Wednesday! Time to get some fabric inspiration from the Dongmen Lu Fabric Market here in Shanghai! Can't believe how quickly 201...